Exploratory Laparotomy & Gastrojejunostomy
What is Exploratory laparotomy and Gastrojejunostomy surgery?
Exploratory Laparotomy is an abdominal surgery which helps in treatment of long term pain in the abdominal. There are times when the tests help the doctors identify the main cause of abdominal problems while in emergency surgeons have to operate it.
Gastrojejunostomy is a surgery where there is a creation of direct connection between the stomach and proximal loop of jejunum. There are four type of Gastrojejunostomy surgery which happens.
- Open surgery
- Laparoscopic surgery
- Robotic laparoscopic surgery
- Percutaneous gastrojejunostomy
There are some symptoms which can help identify the instances at which individuals should seek a doctor. The team of professional and experienced doctors at Tirath Ram Shah Charitable Hospital have done several successful surgeries for Exploratory laparotomy and Gastrojejunostomy.
Why is Exploratory laparotomy and Gastrojejunostomy surgery performed?
In Exploratory laparotomy one either gets the appendix removed or hernia repaired. The surgery is not there to explore the intestine or abdominal region. This surgery is also performed for liver, ovaries and exploration of other internal organs.
In Gastrojejunostomy there is removal or bypassing of the gastric content which is the major cause of the problem.
Symptoms generating need of Exploratory laparotomy and Gastrojejunostomy
One common symptom which people generally confess is the abdominal pain or the belly pain. It should not be taken lightly as there could be internal bleeding in such cases. There would be infection inside the abdominal and the surgery can help prevent it from further spreading.
We try to make the patient feel comfortable during surgery by injecting an appropriate amount of anesthesia. Before initiating the surgery the patient goes through multiple tests to ensure that there is no other problem. A long vertical incision is made on the abdomen and the surgeons diagnose the tissue or take the sample in case of doubt of further infection.
The incision is closed with the help of stitches or staples and the doctors suggest some precautions which one should keep in consideration.
- Lifting the weight – After the surgery the body is in recovery state and lifting heavy weight could cause abdominal pain again. The stitches can also be affected by lifting weight which ultimately can cause internal bleeding.
- Do not take bath – Taking the bath after surgery can make the incision area wet which delays the time of recovery. The doctor always suggests a time when a patient can take a bath. Water can reopen the wound by softening the skin.
- Consult doctor in case of emergency – Problems like chest pain, excess sweating, abdominal pain, swelling etc create a bigger problem so one should consult doctor immediately. The doctors at Tirath Ram Shah Charitable Hospital suggest the complete routine which one should follow after surgery for faster recovery.
The procedures, symptoms before surgery, and the precaution that one has to take before are present in this writeup. We at Tirath Ram Shah Charitable Hospital ensure the safest and successful surgery. Identifying the major cause of problems by observing symptoms and by doing tests is the primary step we take before the operation. Some people come across some problems like abdominal swelling or any other but the doctors mention all the common problems and the way to tackle them. The duration of recovery depends on the severity of infection.